The first dedication and mass in the newly constructed Holy Name of Jesus Church was announced on December 1, 1918 to took place on December 9, 1918. The Holy Name of Jesus Church was built in 1892 on the land that became part of Loyola University. In 1910, the church
was moved on log rollers to make room for the growing university. A few years later in 1913, Kate Mcdermott, brother to prominent businessmen and board of director of Hibernia Bank Thomas Mcdermott, wanted to build a church in the memory of her brother passing and decided to donate $150,000 to the completion of a completely upgraded church. The church started construction in 1914 and would be finished and dedicated shortly thereafter in 1918. It was also the one of the first churches to have a radio broadcasted mass as in 1919 the Wide World Loyola (WWL) radio station began broadcasting from Loyola’s campus.
During the ceremony on December 9, the dedication of the Holy Name of Jesus was led by John Bonzano who was the papal delegate to the United States and would lead a group of both bishops and clergy
from around the United States. Bishop Jules Jeanmard then held the first mass in the church with a sermon from Father Albert Biever, the founder and first president of Loyola University, where he spoke of the generosity of Kate Mcdermott and how the Jesuits started Loyola. This dedication and sermon seemed as a spectacle for the many people who came especially with the suspense of waiting outside the church while the consecration of bishop Jeanmard occurred within the church and then could they enter for the sermon.
The Holy Name of Jesus Church has been a keystone to both New Orleanians in Uptown and to students of Loyola University for over 100 years and shows the deep roots this city has to the Catholic faith.
“Dedicate Church Built On Loyola School Campus.” Times-Picayune. December 10, 1918.
“Papal Delegate Will Consecrate Holy Name Church.” Times-Picayune. December 1, 1918.